Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I just finished working on my boat ALL DAY, save a couple hours in the morning when it was a little cold for my liking. As you can see, I have masterminded a new electrical system that even Clark Grizwald would be proud of. Of course, he wouldn't be able to understand it, since he doesn't know the simple language of electrical tape wrapping I invented to compensate for the fact that I did the whole thing with only one color of wiring, thereby saving $5.


Right after taking this photo I flipped the whole apparatus over and bolted it down, and amazingly it all worked. Except for the one thing I set out to fix. That's still broken.
The more observant of you may be wondering what those loose wires are hanging out of the side of my electrical box. That, in fact, is the start of my LED lighting system. By leaving them to be free-range wires I'm saving $55 over what may be considered the safer option of waterproof 2-pin receptacles. I'm not one that likes to tell people what to do, but I will suggest you sort of avoid that area of the boat.
I know it all looks great, but it also represents a considerable step forward in safety for me. The only required safety gear I'm missing is a throw-able flotation device and visual signaling device. I might even get those at some point, if I can find a good deal. But I still don't intend to get a fire extinguisher, so just look out for those wires.

1 comment: