Friday, February 19, 2010

Lessons Learned from Great Fishermen

I've been privileged to learn the art and skill of fishing from some of the best. Most recently, I learned a lot from Joseba Kerejeta, 2008 World Champion Spearfisherman, who is as much magician as fisherman; he landed fish that most people would never find, let alone catch. I've been at the apprenticeship of fishermen who need a truck not so much to tow their boat, but to haul their tackle boxes; guys with plugs, poppers, prince nymphs, jigs with and without weed-guards, buzzbaits, crankbaits, jerkbaits, softbaits, spoons, spinners, and streamers, each in colors from fire tiger to pumpkinseed with a chartreuse tail. I've been educated by fishermen who ply the Pacific with no less fervor than Ahab himself; although their excursions are certainly more dangerous due to the amount of beer imbibed and the size and sharpness of the teeth on their prehistoric-looking prey. I owe a lot of gratitude to these guys for teaching me so many ways to catch so many types of fish. But never have I learned more about fishing, really fishing, than from the greatest fisherman I ever knew, Frank Orndorff.

Frank Orndorff is my mom's dad, my grandpa. He always told me he never caught a fish in his life, and to the best of my knowledge this was true. In fact, it doesn't surprise me at all, given his methods. Though he certainly never strained to load his tackle onto the boat, it's not that he lacked gear. Looking back on it, the problem is actually that he had a little too much gear for his way of thinking. Which is not to say he wasn't a smart man, but give Orville and Wilbur a Boeing 747 and I doubt they would have the success they had with the Wright Flyer. Had Grandpa stuck with a cane pole and a worm he might have caught a fish, but instead he took his mold-injected, wide-lipped, treble-hooked, #4 crankbait made for cunning sport fishermen with Polarized glasses and breathable jackets bedazzled with sponsor's logos, and suspended it below a bobber, a virtual guarantee not to catch fish. And it's a good thing a fish never bit this little morsel, because the knots binding up his reel were probably twice as strong as the half-hitches he used to secure his lure.

So he doesn't sound like the best fisherman you've ever heard of? Well, that would be true- if we were a bunch of Paleolithic cave-dwellers that needed to catch fish to survive. But in modern times, if you want a fish to eat you need do no more than step to the counter and say "McFish, please." And Frank Orndorff embodied that. Maybe he never caught fish, but he always had food. The night before a fishing trip, when others were oiling the bearings of their reels or honing hook-points, Grandpa packed Twinkies, cherries, and iced tea. And come the next day, when other anglers were still fiddling with line tangles and backlashes, he would be relaxing, a straw hat atop his head, a cushion under the seat of his pants, the smorgasbord in his lap. For him, it was a veritable Carnival cruise aboard that 15' aluminum skiff. Of course, he still made the perfunctory effort of tying that crawdad crankbait on his line, but even had an unsuspecting fish managed to snag itself on it, would he have known what to do? With his hands full of Hershey's chocolate, would he have even cared?

The best fisherman I ever knew passed away about five years ago. Sometimes, as I dream he lives on, under the shade of his straw hat, warmth from the sun alleviating the pain of his old, arthritic joints. Though he wouldn't hesitate to let you know how he felt about the way the bureau was cutting the grass at the park, he never really did complain about pain. So I feel free to murmur and swat at bugs, but I don't gripe about the lack of fish as I make another cast. Dreaming on, Grandpa would be relishing life's simple pleasures- sons and daughters and a porch swing, grandkids and a goldfish pond, a fresh peach in hand. I snap back to reality as my attention is captured by a bird flying across my field of vision. I reminisce about Grandpa's beloved wrens, and more about the comfort and enjoyment he derived from providing a good home for many generations of the little birds. They're always there in the dream, right by the tool shed inexorably linked to my grandpa. Reality hits, and the sun is sinking low, the food has evaporated from the cooler, and I haven't put a fish in it all day- perfect. I finish the last two cherries in my hand and reel in my line, glad to have learned from the great fisherman.

No comments: