Thursday, February 11, 2010

Holidays

One holiday I always look forward to is Valentine's Day. This may surprise some of you. "But you're single, not romantic, and you never go out," you're thinking. You're thinking, "Why would you like Valentine's Day? You're scrawny, dress, poorly, and your face is repulsive." Woah! Hey! That's crossing the line. Anyway, the reason I like Valentine's Day is the weather is almost always nice. I can think of some great days I've had diving in Waimanalo on Valentine's Day.
There are other holidays that I look forward to also. Memorial Day is a good one. A lot of you don't even know when that is. Unless I tell you it's baitball season, then you think, "Oooohhh, right. I love May." Memorial Day, Cinco de Mayo, ALL of Mayo. May's a good month for diving.
I'll never forget my birthday either. It comes right at the end of summer, when the water's warm, swells are low, and the tradewinds let up. I always have fish to eat on my birthday. My birthday is August 27, so those conditions often hold up right through Labor Day, another great holiday.
New Year's Eve is not necessarily my favorite holiday. It's awfully hard to get to sleep, which is important if you're going to get up New Year's morning to take advantage of the good diving weather. I can't remember how many years in a row I've gone diving Jan. 1. Probably 6 or 7. Some people just dive it every other year to take advantage of the Diamond Head area opening. But it's always a good one for a diver to mark on his or her calendar.
There are a lot more days to mark down, too. Before last week it had been years since I saw a Super Bowl; the weather at that time is just too good. And I hope they never take away Columbus Day! It's a good day for diving. Heck, what am I saying? Kwanza, Yom Kippur, Ramadan... everyday is a good one for diving.

No comments: